Friday, November 25, 2011

Thankful


Happy Thanksgiving!  What a totally American holiday! It's the only holiday that you are encouraged to wear pants with elastic waists, over eat all of the richest of foods and HAVE Dessert (You would never dream of eating that many calories the rest of the year), watch TV all day with family and take a nap!  It is also the only holiday where we are Thankful for everything we have on Thursday and are trampling each other and spraying each other with pepper spray on Friday for things we want.  (Trampling and pepper spray were the headlines for Black Friday shopping on the news today.)

Alot of my facebook friends have been listing things they are thankful for each day.  Doesn't it just bring life in perspective when you realize all the good you have in your life.  Something I am extremely thankful for is getting to have Thanksgiving dinner with my 93 yr old grandmother this year at her house.  After a health scare earlier this year where she had to have an irregular heart stopped and restarted, it is really a blessing to spend time with her.  When I walked in the door she was standing over the kitchen counter overseeing the food preparation.  Alot of dishes she had prepared herself and she would not have had it any other way.  She does not take her Matriarch role lightly when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner. 

Alot of family and friends are starting their own holiday traditions this year.  They are taking up the torch, so to speak, and creating new traditions for their growing families.  They are finding themselves in a transition period where they will be the ones to be the keeper of the turkey! (Or enchilada in some cases)   This year has been the year that I have noticed my Grandmother seems to be her age, there is a new frailness to her stance.  A slowness is her getting up and a hand searching for something to hold on to as she moves from place to place.  I am thankful for the time I am getting with her and all the love she has given to me throughout my life.

I am so thankful for my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment