Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Recitals, Programs & Parties

Tis The Season!  The season of Orchestra Recitals, Music Programs, and Christmas Parties.  Peyton had her first Orchestra program on Tuesday and wouldn't you know they scheduled Hayden's music program for the same night.  This is where you flip a coin and see which parent ends up at which program.  I got Peyton's program and Kevin got Hayden's program.  We both set out with recorders in hand.

Peyton's program went well!  It turns out I didn't need earplugs for the sixth grade violinists.  Not only that, you could ACTUALLY tell what Christmas songs they were playing.  They only got to start using their bows a few months back, up until that point they were only allowed "plucking."  They did a great job!

I could not wait to see Hayden's program on the video recorder.  I started the video....What a Ham!   Hayden's place was top row, very end, on the right.  As all the other students faced the music teacher in the center, Hayden turned and faced directly toward Kevin and my mom and the CAMERA.  He was the only one facing that direction, so he kind of stood out like a sore thumb.  I am pretty sure he was playing it up for the camera.  He did alot of smiling at the camera, eye brow raising and over exaggerating with the words to the songs.  One of the songs he sang talked about Santa getting fit and ready for Christmas night.  It talked about Santa running on a treadmill.  Isn't that a huge contradiction to Jolly Old St Nicholas?  We all know Santa is a Cookie, Binge Eater on Christmas Eve!  Who wrote this?  Next thing you know they will have Rudolph getting Rhinoplasty!  I asked him why he didn't face his music teacher like the other kids.  He said, "I don't need directing, I know all the songs."

We have had Kevin's work party and a holiday open house with a party or two to follow this week.  So far, I am proud to say I am Snuggie free when it comes to White Elephant gifts!  Last year I took a Snuggie and ended up with 2!  (I will refer to this as "The Curse of the Snuggie 2010")  Those things can multiply.   I got a Chili's gift card and Kevin got a lovely candy dish.(It was a win/win.)  I have high hopes for our  other gatherings.  The kids will be performing a Christmas play at our church this Sunday.  If you are out and about, come and see it, it will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment