Sunday, January 2, 2011

Unrealized Potential


I am not a big fan of New Year's resolutions, I think you are setting your self up for failure.  My New Year's resolution last year was, "Whatever I attempt to do I will do my best and put 100% into it."  That is attainable.  You hear resolutions to lose weight, to exercise more, to stop smoking, to pay off credit card debt, etc... I know the holidays can be depressing for some people, maybe they didn't accomplish their resolution or feel strained by money and family.  With my birthday being in between Christmas and New Year, even I get a little melancholy in the fact that another year has come and gone and what did I accomplish and do with it. 

What it all boils down to is unrealized potential.  The things that we list as resolutions are all attainable with commitment, that's right, we all have the POTENTIAL to accomplish ALL of our resolutions.  For whatever reason, we do not reach our full potential for that particular goal we have set forth for that year.  Did I volunteer enough last year?  Did I work as hard as I possibly could?  Did I commit enough time to my children and their activities?  Did I make a change in a positive way to affect my life?  Did I make a change in a positive way to affect someone else's life?  Maybe our resolutions should not focus so much on the specific task, but instead focus on our lack of commitment to follow through and see something reach it's full potential. 

 The ability and potential are there, but is the commitment?

No comments:

Post a Comment