Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Survey Says....

Today I went to a lunch for "Exceeds Expectations" that the company I work for does for every one in my region who's branch rates high on client surveys.  They call our clients and ask several questions and they can score exceeds expectations, meets expectations, N/A, does not meet expectations.  So, in recognition, we get a lunch.  I posted a comment on Facebook and said that I also "Exceed Expectations" in my marriage, right Kevin?  This got me to thinking .....(this is always dangerous I know)....What if we did have a marriage survey?  I looked on line and there are several marriage surveys out there actually. 

I have not looked at any questions on the surveys and, to be quite honest, I don't know that I would want to take one.  If you took one with your significant other, would it open up a dialogue on things to work on or would it open up a can of worms?   Maybe it is dealing with a word I sometimes have trouble with.....ACCOUNTABILITY.  This word to me represents the ultimate in commitment, being held to your word and called not only to action but also to the follow up.  
 Maybe I will be the first to say that I do not handle criticism well and it might put me on the defensive of things I do not see as a problem (yet). 

I guess my thinking on this is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  That being said, if I felt that I was struggling in my marriage I would be willing to take that survey and do what ever I could to improve my relationship.  What about Parent Surveys?  Would you be willing to let your kids rate you?  So scary right?  You want to believe you would get an "Exceeds Expectations" from them.  Failure is not an option when it comes to raising your kids.  

So perhaps, tonight as you lay in bed, maybe an internal survey to yourself.  Am I treating the ones I love as well as I could be?  Am I kind to them?  Do I offer them the help I know they need?  Am I being the best person I could be to others?  I hope we all score "Exceeds Expectations."  

No comments:

Post a Comment