Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back in the Day.....

Did your parents ever tell you their hardship stories from when they were growing up?  "Back in my day, we had to walk to school in the sleet and the snow and all we had to wear on our feet were gold slippers that turned up at the end like elf shoes."  (You laugh, but I swear my mom told me that)  I actually caught myself doing this to one of my children this weekend!  Only my story was really pathetic after I thought about, being a child of the 80's, we just did not really have the hardships that our parents had.

We went to measure my daughter for her cheerleading uniform for next year when she is in 6th grade.  Talk about sticker price shock, her uniform is going to cost $180 doll hairs!  After it was all said and done, I ended up writing a check for $335 doll hairs to pay for cheer camp, camp shirt, dance camp, uniform and registration.  I think it was the sticker shock that through me in to my, "Back in My Day" story.
Stop it Mom!

As we got in the car I said, "Back when I was a cheerleader in elementary school, our uniforms were green polyster and homemade with a green gingham shirt.  They had Jets ironed on the front in a diagonal.  (Don't make me ask my mom to dig out those photos of my green, gingham, polyster nightmare)  We didn't get to just be cheerleaders if we were peppettes in 5th grade, we had to try out and do a cheer and jump.  We had to carry huge, giant pom poms across football fields.....I think they weighed 10 lbs.....in the SNOW." (You have to add in the snow to any "Back in the Day" story)

You see what I mean, pretty pathetic hardship huh?  Can you imagine what our children's "Back in the Day" stories are going to be like?  "Back in the day I had to walk every where I went, we didn't have jet propelled shoes like you.  We had to cut our own food and couldn't just take a pill of steak and potatoes.  We had to carry our cell phones and talk on them, they were not implanted like they are now."   

You never know...

1 comment:

  1. Side Note: The story I referenced above about my mom, when she was a teenager, my grandparents did not have enough money to buy them all school shoes. (there were 7 siblings) She said my Grandma went to the drugstore and bought them gold jeanie slippers because they were less than a dollar. It was at that time my mom decided to get a job and pay for her and my aunt's school clothes.

    ReplyDelete